11.26.2005

A quick lesson in moldology

I've been taking a step back lately and looking at myself. I decided that it must be pretty interesting to be me. How so? Well let me take a moment to explain myself.

First, I'm a self diagnosed hypochondriac.

Second, I'm mildly obsessive compulsive. At this point you could ask yourself this, "Is she really obsessive compulsive or is she making this all up."

Third, I'm extremely paranoid about mold. This one may need some detailing. It goes like this, mold isn't good for you. If you are allergic to it, it can be deadly. Now how would one go about knowing if they were allergic to mold or not? Most people can determine their mold allergy status by simply being around it and experiencing the typical allergy symptoms, such as a running nose, itchy eyes etc. Now here's the problem, if you're like me and you're allergic to most things that are airborne, you can't tell what is causing the allergic reaction, the mold or say, the dust or pollen, or someone's overuse of perfume.

So this brings me to my final point. If you aren't positive you are allergic to mold and you eat a piece of moldy bread or cheese and you are allergic to it you could potentially die. Am I right?

Oh now here is an interesting biology fact for you. When you see the mold flower (the green parts) on your food or whatever, the mold has already spread itself through out the entire thing. Try and think of it this way: if you put a time release capsule of water inside of a sponge and waited for it to go off, you wouldn't know when the capsule burst until the water reached the edges of the sponge. Mold works the same way. It could be inside your loaf of bread or brick of cheese for days before you know its there.

And people think I'm crazy when I won't eat cheese that they "just cut the mold off of."


sorry I got a little sidetracked and didn't finish my original thought process. I wont bore you with that now.